Monday, December 8, 2014

"Think Less - Feel More"

"Think Less - Feel More" - In my teaching - and for my own work - I keep a running list of ideas written down; bits of advice, memories, fragments of philosophy, etc. that I have loosely named "Random Thoughts on Art" . Since I'm not a big fan of rules - especially in art - where "no rules" is often the best rule - these are more "rules of thumb" or just good things to remember as I travel on. So I thought from time to time, I'd share one from my ever-evolving list here; and this is one of the first and most important for me. While it's good to think about our work, about life, about art,etc. I've found that if I think too much while trying to paint - I can be my own worst enemy. When I pick up that brush, I'd better have all my thinking done. So then, my brush can "think for me" and I can paint more directly from the heart. Here's a painting I did earlier this year "Vertical Study" that began in my head as just an idea - but ended up on paper as a pure feeling.

1 comment:

  1. Me encanta este trabajo, estoy de acuerdo con lo que dices, yo suelo tener la mente en blanco cuando pinto, es una manera de escaparse.saludos

    ReplyDelete